About Shift Training
Our trainers are adventure lovers..
Shift Training provides valuable towing and caravan safety tips from new drivers to experienced caravaners needing a refresher.. These private courses (or in small groups) cater for customers seeking to tow with confidence. A full safety setup check is conducted and feedback provided to the customer on your setup.
We also cater for those who need extra help the use of a spotter, correct caravan set up, weight distribution, backing and securing.
Shift can create a customised training plan to suit your requirements, just tell us what you need and we'll sort out the details.
Full Towing Course $495 (2 participants)
This full course is ideal for everyone who tows a trailer, caravan or horse float. This course is designed to teach practical towing skills plus legal and safety requirements when towing.
This course is conducted at our site and on highways and local roads.
Participants must bring their own insured towing vehicle and caravan or trailer.
- 2 hours theory training and 2 hours practical training
- Welcome and introduction
- Demonstration of correct coupling including selection and application of accessories
- Practical training in reversing and parking techniques
- Development of practical techniques including hazard awareness to ensure safe handling of a tow vehicle
- Use of electric brake control
- Correct coupling and uncoupling procedures
- Reversing and use of a spotter
- Brake set up, brake controller adjustment, manual override
- Understanding tow vehicle and caravan weights
- Safe and defensive driving techniques
- Monitored forward towing and straight reversing
- Circle reverse, reverse angle parking
- Question time, completion of paperwork
- Dates and times to suit by appointment
Understanding your weights
- (GVM) Gross Vehicle Mass
- (TBD) Tow Ball Download
- Front and Rear Axle Load Limits
- Necessity for a (WDH) Weight Distribution Hitch
- Front and rear axle load evenly distributed
- (ATM) Aggregate Trailer Mass
- (GTM) Gross Trailer Mass
- (GCM) Gross combined Mass of the tow vehicle and caravan